【Research applications for FY2021 are now closed.】
Tohoku University’s Research Institute of Electrical Communication (hereinafter RIEC) has been conducting joint studies with researchers from outside RIEC to make public the results of research widely as a center of excellence (COE) in information and communication technology (ICT) and, at the same time, to help further develop the community of researchers as a joint usage/research center for collaborative research in ICT. This joint research program does not presume simple joint use of RIEC facilities by participants; it features the precondition that participants conduct cooperative studies with research collaborators of RIEC. The Cooperative Research Project Program calls for the implementation of research projects in cooperation with excellent researchers at home and abroad by planning and coordinating various studies on technologies and systems in the information and communication sector.
Participants in RIEC Nation-wide Cooperative Research Projects in fiscal 2020 are invited in line with the following guidelines.
1. Application details
- The following subthemes are to be invited in 2021． 1) Advanced Nano-Information Devices Utilizing Physical Phenomena 2) Next-Generation Systems for Ultra-Broadband Communication 3) Creation of Information Systems Harmonizing People and Environments 4) Advanced System and Software for Information Society
- The RIEC Nation-wide Cooperative Research Projects Program consists of two categories. One is “Type A: Research Projects” which uses RIEC facilities, equipment, etc. to conduct research. The other, known as “Type B: Research Projects Seminar,” focuses on study meetings.
- The following six types of research are in place to diversify the Cooperative Research Projects program.
- LRG: Large Research Project – themes aimed at proposing a major project
- YNG: Young Researcher’s Project – both Principal Investigator (Pl) and research collaborator of RIEC (see section 5 for details) must be 39 years old or younger as of April 1, 2021.
- EXP: Exploratory Research Project – exploratory themes
- ADV: Advanced Research Project – advanced themes
- ITL: International Cooperative Research Project – themes that involve researchers belonging to overseas research institutes who will act as principal investigators or share studies with RIEC researchers
- IUC: Industry – University Cooperative Research Project- themes that involve private-sector R&D staff who will act as principal investigators or share studies with RIEC researchers (restricted to Type B)
- In case research is continued beyond the first year on the same theme, the maximum period shall be three years, including the first year.
Qualified for application are teachers and researchers belonging to universities, technical colleges and public-sector research institutes; and researchers belonging to private-sector companies, organizations, etc.
Postgraduate students of universities and advanced course students of technical collages may join research teams as members.
3. Research team
From the date of decision of adoption to March 15, 2022.
4. Application terms
From Jan. 13 to Feb. 26, 2021 (strictly abide by the deadline)
【Research applications for FY2021 are now closed.】
5. How to apply
(1) A researcher representing his/her research team, called the Principal Investigator (Pl), shall apply only after consulting a selected research collaborator of RIEC about a research theme/plan, etc. in advance.
（2）Please file an application through “RIEC Nation-wide Cooperative Research Projects System.”
Those who use the system for the first time are required to complete user registration beforehand to get a login ID and a password. As user registration may take a few days, please complete it not later than 10 days before the application deadline.
[About user registration]
6. Application documents to be submitted through the online system
Web application form
1)Research execution plan
1) Research execution plan
7. Notice of outcome
Whether applications have been accepted or not will be notified in mid-April 2021 after decisions by the Cooperative Projects Selection Committee, which includes external intellectuals.
When an application is adopted, the Pl and research team members will be regarded as “RIEC cooperative researchers” commissioned by Tohoku University.
○Schedule of Cooperative Research Projects
Period of Implementation
Contents of Implementation
Jan 13-Feb 16
Apply for user registration case of first
Jan 13-Feb 26
Notice of decision to adopt/reject
Procedures for official trips
till end of March next year
（1）Treatment of intellectual property rights
When intellectual property is created as a result of RIEC Nation-wide Cooperative Research, the handling is determined by mutual consultation of parties concerned.
Each project will be provided with expense allocations equivalent to expenses for traveling to RIEC for research, participation in study meetings, etc. and equipment/consumables expenses necessary for research at RIEC (restricted to Type A only). Allocated amounts are subject to change according to the number of research projects adopted.
As RIEC has no lodging facilities, researchers are required to secure accommodation individually.
（4）Submission of report on cooperative research
PIs shall submit research reports online through the “RIEC Nation-wide Cooperative Research Projects System” by March 31, 2021. (strictly observe the deadline)
（5）Description of acknowledgment
In publishing reports on the outcome of research as theses, researchers are requested to add at the end of such papers a sentence to the effect that their studies were conducted as “research under the Cooperative Research Project Program of the Research Institute of Electrical Communication, Tohoku University.” In that case, please send a copy of your paper to the postal address shown in “8. Contact” below.
Please refer to the following examples in writing acknowledgment.
- Part of this work was carried out under the Cooperative Research Project Program of the Research Institute of Electrical Communication, Tohoku University.
- This work was performed in the Cooperative Research Project of the Research Institute of Electrical Communication, Tohoku University.
- We acknowledge the stimulated discussion in the meeting of the Cooperative Research Project of the Research Institute of Electrical Communication, Tohoku University.
- This conference was partially supported by the Research Institute of Electrical Communication, Tohoku University.
You may use RIEC, an acronym for the Research Institute of Electrical Communication, instead of writing its full name.
（6）RIEC Annual Meeting on Cooperative Research Projects
You may be asked to make a presentation on your research at the RIEC Annual Meeting on Cooperative Research Projects scheduled around the end of fiscal 2021．
[RIEC Annual Meeting on Cooperative Research Projects]
RIEC Cooperative Research Project Office, Tohoku University
2-1-1 Katahira, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8577, JAPAN