【Application closed】-【Recruitment Notice】 Call for Professorship at Software Construction Laboratory, Computing System Platforms Division, Research Institute of Electrical Communication (RIEC), Tohoku University
|Position Summary||Professor at Software Construction Laboratory, Computing System Platforms Division, Research Institute of Electrical Communication (RIEC), Tohoku University|
|Research areas||In the Society 5.0, which was proposed as a concept of future society by Japan, it is crucial to be able to utilize advanced application programs that are flexible, efficient, and reliable, and hence extensive research on software development is required to fulfill them. In particular, we urgently need to develop research on software construction that supports new computational principles to respond to social implementation of machine learning and social demand in the practical use of quantum computers.|
The Software Construction Laboratory conducts both theoretical and practical research on software construction techniques for advanced applications in the Society 5.0 and the development of the technologies supporting such applications. More specifically, we are looking for a person who can promote research and education on robust and advanced software with reusability and high dependability, in addition to software modularization and quality improvement techniques that support new computational principles associated with advanced technologies.
|Tasks and duties||The professor will belong to the Research Institute of Electrical Communication and conduct research there. In addition, he/she is in charge of teaching and supervising students at the Department of Electrical, Information and Physics Engineering in the School of Engineering, and the Graduate School of Information Sciences.|
|Eligibility for application||The applicant must hold a doctoral degree and have excellent research achievements and research skills in the field of his/her specialty. Regardless of nationality, the applicant must have the ability to communicate properly in Japanese and English and provide guidance to students.|
|Employment status||The professor will be employed as a permanent full-time member. The detail follows the regulations of Tohoku University employees.|
|Start of employment||As early as possible after April in 2024.|
|What and how to be submitted||(1) Curriculum vitae (in any format), which includes an identification photo, educational and professional experience, rewards and punishments, and contact details.|
(2) A summary of the applicant’s past research work in about two pages of A4-sized, in which some of reference numbers in the list of research articles in (3) are cited, and figures and tables may be included.
(3) A list of research and educational achievements, which includes original journal papers, conference papers (with refereed/non-refereed clarified), invited talk (domestic/international), surveys, books, patents, awards, educational activities, academic society activities, past/current research grants (the amount and your role in the grant), and other achievements. All achievements must be categorized as above.
(4) Electric files of major 5 research papers, and their summary (about 100 words for each).
(5) The applicant’s plan on education and research in about one page of A4-sized.
(6) The names of two persons who are responsible for the applicant’s activities, and their affiliation, position, contact details (mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address).
(7) The submissions are only accepted via e-mail and the subject must be Faculty_Application_Form_Software_Construction_THE_APPLICANT’S_NAME” where “THE_APPLICANT’S_NAME” is replaced with the applicant’s name.
・All files are in PDF format in principle and their names should be appropriate such that the contents can be guessed.
・All files are compressed as a single file in ZIP format and sent to the e-mail address below. If its size exceeds 10 MB, the file should be uploaded to the designated location. Please contact us at the address below.
・You will receive an email confirming receipt of your documents within a few days after the submission. If you do not receive the email, please contact us.
|Submission due||Applications must be submitted before August 21, 2023.|
|E-mail address for submissions and inquiries|| email@example.com|
Research Institute of Electrical Communication (RIEC), Tohoku University
|Remarks||(1) Interviews may be conducted online after screening of submitted documents.|
(2) Tohoku University promotes activities to increase Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) and encourages people of varied talents from all backgrounds to apply for positions at the university.
Tohoku University’s website about the DEI Declaration is here: http://tumug.tohoku.ac.jp/dei/
Pursuant to Article 8 of the Act on Securing, Etc. of Equal Opportunity and Treatment between Men and Women in Employment, Tohoku University shall, as a measure for increasing the presence of women among the academic staff, prioritize the hiring of women deemed qualified for each job opening, based on impartial evaluation.
Tohoku University has the largest on-campus childcare system of all Japanese national universities. This network comprises three nurseries: Kawauchi Keyaki Nursery school (capacity: 22) and Aobayama Midori Nursery school (116), both open to all university employees, as well as Hoshinoko Nursery school (120), which is open to employees working on Seiryo Campus. In addition, Tohoku University Hospital runs a childcare room for mildly ill and convalescent children which is available to all university employees.
See the following website for information on these and other programs that Tohoku University runs to assist work-life balance, to support researchers, and to advance gender equality, including measures to promote childcare leave among male employees.
Tohoku University Center for Gender Equality Promotion website:
Human Resources and Planning Department website: